The airline distribution landscape has seen a number of interesting trends that may spell new opportunities for airlines looking to capture new markets, bring in additional revenue via ancillaries, and keep pace with the competition.
The launch of Value Alliance is a big deal in the annals of airline distribution. One, it’s one of the world’s two only LCC alliances (apart from U-FLY) and is now the biggest with eight members. Two, it is primarily a technological sales and distribution play that will allow consumers to book in one single itinerary up to eight LCCs – Cebu Pacific, Jeju Air, Nok Air, NokScoot, Scoot, Tigerair Singapore, Tigerair Australia and Vanilla Air – from flights to ancillaries.
Even low-cost carriers in markets that have resisted using a GDS are coming around to the realisation that they are missing a huge opportunity for revenue. Thai Lion Air announced early this year on their expansion with Sabre, the carrier’s first GDS partner. In May, HK Express signed an agreement with Amadeus to distribute its fares and schdeules through Amadeus’ global network of travel agents. And IndiGo signed its first ever GDS agreement with Travelport in September.
To help inform and inspire the industry, especially and LCC sector, on latest trends and strategies in distribution, we are putting together the following panel discussion at Aviation Festival Asia 2017.
Panel: Emerging airline distribution strategies
- What are the trends impacting the distribution landscape? – A closer look on the unbundling movement, shift to mobile, increasing demand for personalisation and new distributors who are originally metasearch engines like Google, Amazon.
- How to capitalise on these trends while not losing control of distribution costs, relationship with customers and customer’s loyalty?
- Who owns the customer when a booking is made through a distribution partner?
- The role of the GDS in a changing distribution landscape
- Partnering with distributors: How to solve the multiple challenges of customer ownership, brand recognition, commission payments
- Going beyond simply direct vs indirect: What are the options and the decisions facing airlines?
- Technology and innovation in airline distribution
- Where is distribution going for the future?
- Trevor Spinks, Head of Sales & Distribution, Budget Aviation Holding
- Andrew Cowen, Chief Executive Officer, HK Express
- Saravanan Ramasamy, Head, Commercial Strategy, Malindo Air
- Additional panellists to be announced
- Yanik Hoyles, Director, New Distribution Capability (NDC) Program, IATA
Check out our website here to see how you can get involved.
Want to nominate a leader to join this panel? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Aviation Festival Asia
Now entering its 13th year, Aviation Festival Asia is one of the largest and most well-established commercial aviation shows for airline and airport executives from both the Asia Pacific region and across the world. In 2017, we are expecting to welcome over 2,000 attendees to the event, with over 900 airline executives across 7 premium conference tracks covering full service and low cost airline strategy & business models, passenger experience, marketing, IT systems, retail, human capital and more. Book your ticket now