We spoke with Jason Miller from Akamai on how new technologies and innovations across all channels is shaping how brands and retailers look into their short and long term strategy.
D: Hi Jason! Tell us a bit about your role and what that involves on a daily basis
J: In my role as Chief Strategist of Commerce at Akamai I get to work directly with great brands in retail and travel. I examine the trends in technology and retail that will shape both the short and long-term planning in how these brands will go to market. Working directly with our customers to find new and innovative ways to utilize the Akamai platform to provide the best possible experience to their customers.
D: What one trend in your industry has your attention and excited and why?
J: In the industry, we have been talking about mobile for several years – however this year it seems that brands are really taking it serious and understanding how mobile is driving innovation across all channels not just the web. The mobile device has become the go to device for consumers to research products and services and there are now more searches performed on mobile than on desktop computers. I see many new exciting ways retailers are taking advantage of these mobile moments utilizing geo-fencing, beacons, loyalty apps and buy online pickup in store.
D: How has the industry changed since you first got involved in it?
J: I started out in this industry in 1997 and so many things have changed that it would be quite a long list, so I will just pick my top 4.
- The barrier to entry has gotten much lower for a new or niche brands to enter the market from a technical aspect with the many different marketplaces, platforms and turnkey solutions.
- Pure play ecommerce brands are now opening popup and physical stores to meet rising consumer expectations.
- Mobile has changed the customer experience and now brands must develop a strategy to meet these anywhere anytime consumers.
- Consumers are no longer willing to wait for a slow website to load and their expectations for load times are being driven by giants such as Google, Facebook and Amazon as to how fast a website or app should load.
D: Give us a sneak peek into what you’ll be showcasing at Seamless Philippines 2017?
J: At the Akamai booth, we will be demonstrating:
- How to manage bots with a live demonstration of how we identify and manage bots including stopping credential abuse.
- See how you can promote a culture of performance to improve your customers online experience by monitoring, optimizing and validating your website to increase conversion.
- See how optimizing images on your website can boost performance and conversion for both desktop and mobile with a performance insight report on your website.
D: What one trend in the Philippines market are you most excited about and why?
J: The Philippines economy is set for record growth and consumers are spending time online with their mobile devices that watching TV. With 88% of the mobile internet population under the age of 34 this sets the stage for exciting growth in both mobile commerce and mobile banking.
About Jason Miller:
Mr. Miller has over 16 years of experience in technology and eCommerce and leads Akamai’s eCommerce strategy, including developing thought leadership in the industry, driving decisions on Akamai’s future technologies, and interfacing with the retail community and analysts to provide insight into trends and drive innovation.
Mr. Miller is also a proven leader in innovation with a track record of delivering cutting edge software and infrastructure for high volume omni-channel retailers.
Currently, Mr. Miller is focused on customer experience, the impact of the explosive mobile growth, and how retailers can utilize Responsive Design to increase sales.
Prior to Akamai, Mr. Miller has held prominent positions such as Vice President of Technology and Chief Technology Officer and has successfully led the architecture and implementation of complex retail systems utilizing multiple technologies with emphasis on performance and security. With a focus on providing a seamless customer experience across devices, he launched the first Responsive Web Design platform in the motorcycle vertical.
We thank Jason for his forthcoming views on innovations technologies and look forward to welcoming him at Seamless Philippines 2017, 27th to 28th September at the SMX Convention Centre in Manila. CLICK HERE to find out how you can be part of this exclusive opportunity.